I’ve been having such a hard time starting this post, so I’ve put it off for 2 days. I’ve now come to the decision that I don’t HAVE to have final decisions made on how I feel…….part of blogging is the act of writing to help formulate ideas. So, that being said, here it is.
(Frontline – PBS)
As many educators and parents are aware of, PBS has been airing a show titled “Growing Up Online” on Frontline. The tagline on the site right now reads “Just how radically is the Internet transforming the experience of Childhood?” and I think that really sums up my feelings. You really MUST watch this, it’s our responsibility as adults to join in the discussion about how our young people are growing up and becoming ready to enter adulthood. I’m not going to describe the entire show, I’m not going to critique it, I just want to put a few of my thoughts out there……..
- I have to come to terms with the good/bad sides of most things that my children will encounter when growing up, and not ban potentially useful or harmless experiences because of my fear
- I need to learn even MORE about the issue than I currently know
- All teachers should be required to watch this
- All parents should WANT and need to watch this
- The problem isn’t the internet or social networking, it’s the lack of education about the topic on all levels from government to parents
- I’m doing the best that I can to stay up to speed with the changing world both as an educator and parent…………….it feels like a losing battle
You can watch the episode online RIGHT NOW (just click here) if you missed it – I’d love your thoughts, they might help me get my mind around some of the issues raised……..